Dual Language Program
What is Dual Immersion?
Dual language immersion programs are a way for students to learn academic content (Math, Science, Social Studies, English) while also learning to speak, read and write in another language.
Which GGUSD schools offer dual immersion programs? In 2016, Garden Grove Unified School District opened the Monroe Elementary Language Academy for transitional kindergarten and kindergarten students to learn English and Spanish and begin their journey to become bilingual, biliterate, and bicultural. In 2017, GGUSD launched a Vietnamese dual language immersion program for transitional kindergarten students at Murdy Elementary School. The program is the second Vietnamese dual language program in Orange County and the fourth in the nation. In 2017, GGUSD also opened its second Spanish dual language program at Russell Elementary School. At the start of the 2018-2019 school year, GGUSD partnered with Code to the Future to launch its first Computer Science Academy at Heritage Elementary where all students learn the language of computer coding.
What does the research show?
Dual language students outperform their peers in English-only programs. Students in dual immersion programs have high levels of self-esteem, high academic competence and motivation. Students are better prepared for the global job market where a second language gives them a competitive edge!
How does the program work?
In a dual language immersion program, students are taught the same curriculum as their peers in English-only schools and are expected to meet the same state standards as all other students in the district. Students may only begin the Spanish and Vietnamese dual language programs in transitional kindergarten or kindergarten and commit to remaining in the program through 6th grade. The Spanish program follows a 90:10 program model which refers to the language of instruction. In TK/K 90% of the instruction is in Spanish. As the student gradually moves up in grades, the language of instruction will gradually increase in English until the program reaches a 50:50.The Vietnamese program follows a 50:50 model Which refers to 50% of the instructional day is in English and 50% in Vietnamese. At Heritage Computer Science Academy, technology is infused into the curriculum at every grade level across content areas.
What are the requirements?
Interested families need to attend a dual language orientation at their school of choice (Monroe, Russell, Murdy, Heritage). Applications to the program are completed after the orientation. If accepted, this becomes your new permanent school. Students and parents do NOT have to be bilingual to be successful in the program. This program is designed for three types of students:
- English Learners whose home language is Spanish or Vietnamese
- Bilingual students who speak Spanish and English or English and Vietnamese
- English proficient students
- Students with an interest in technology
Learn about our Dual Language Immersion Programs
- Monroe Elementary Language Academy Brochure English
- Monroe Elementary Language Academy Brochure Spanish
- Russell Elementary Spanish Dual Immersion Program
- Vietnamese Dual Language Immersion Program English Brochure
- Vietnamese Dual Language Immersion Program Vietnamese Brochure
- News: GGUSD Celebrates Success Launch of District’s First Spanish Dual Language Immersion Academy
- News: Garden Grove City Council Recognizes Success of GGUSD's Dual Language Academy
- News: GGUSD Announces Launch of Vietnamese Dual Language Program at Murdy
Dual Immersion – Print material highlighting program characteristics/research findings
- Bilingual Teacher - Dual Language Immersion Schools
- The New York Times - Dual-Language Programs Are on the Rise, Even for Native English Speakers
- Stanford News - Students learning English benefit more in two-language instructional programs than English immersion, Stanford research finds
- Standford CEPA - What the Rising Popularity in Dual Language Programs Could Mean for Dual Language
- The Multiple Benefits of Dual Language